Kiama Council is inviting locals to help draft a Local Strategic Planning Statement (LSPS) for the municipality.
Drafting the LSPS is an opportunity for everyone who lives and works in the municipality, to play their part in setting a 20-year vision for land use in the area.
The LSPS will also define:
- the special characteristics which contribute to local identity
- shared community values to be maintained and enhanced
- how growth and change will be managed into the future
The LSPS will address planning matters in themes such as housing, employment, infrastructure, agriculture, environment, recreation and cultural facilities.
Once established, the LSPS will serve a number of important functions: it will establish how State and regional plans will be implemented in Kiama; guide future reviews of the Kiama Local Environmental Plan 2011 and the Kiama Development Control Plan 2012 as well as provide a foundation for the review of Council’s Community Strategic Plan in 2020.
Council has outlined a year-long process for developing the LSPS, with opportunities for community involvement in each step along the way.
Phase one is a series of community, business and tourism workshops next month to identify the priorities, issues and themes for the Statement:
- Community Workshop 1 – Kiama Pavilion – Sat 17 November, 10am -12noon
- Community Workshop 2 – Kiama Pavilion – Wed 21 Nov, 2 – 4pm
- Business and Tourism Operators Workshop – Old Council Building – Thurs 22 Nov, 10am-12noon
- Community Workshop 3 – Joyce Wheatley Centre – Thurs 22 Nov, 6 – 8pm
People can register for the workshops online:
Council is also hosting workshops with local primary and high school students to gather their thoughts on what’s special about where they live, and how they imagine it changing over the next 20 years.
For more information please contact Debbie Boles at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 4232 0444.