How accessible are Council’s services and facilities for residents and visitors who have a disability?
New facilities are built to current physical accessibility standards but is this enough? How do we ensure that the services we provide and the way we work also reduce barriers for people with a disability?
Nearly 90% of disabilities are invisible and yet all affect the person’s ability to be independent, to work and to be welcomed in the community.
Council is developing a Disability Inclusion Action Plan for the continuing improvement of accessibility. The areas of focus are:
- Removing barriers to Council services
- Providing information in a range of formats
- Making buildings and facilities accessible
- Assisting people to participate in meetings, consultations and Council functions
- Increasing employment participation of people with a disability
Your experience and suggestions as a resident are needed